Five Decembers by James Kestrel

Home Forums Medina Post-Books Reading Group Five Decembers by James Kestrel

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Barbara R
    Participant

What a read! There is truth in the saying, “Can’t judge a book by its cover” – well someone had to say it. I was riveted

Is James Kestrel really a pen name for Jonathan Moore? If so I need to read some of his novels.

Did anyone crack the code? I read the last 70 pages or so, so quickly maybe I missed something? I am now reading up on Wabun

paul armfield
    Keymaster

I’m so glad you enjoyed it, I have yet to read it but it was recommended to me by someone who’s taste I trust and every person so far that I’ve recommended it to has loved it. It’s been kept off the top of my ‘to-read’ pile by other things I’ve been obliged to read so it’s a pleasure waiting for me.
    He is Jonathan Moore, author of 6 other novels, but before you read his other books you might want to consider his advice to aspiring writers that I came across in an interview, he said:
    ‘Unless you’ve been diagnosed with a terminal illness, there’s no rush. Slow down a bit, read, re-read, and revise, and then start submitting to agents or publishers. Otherwise you might publish six books and then have to change your name.’

Jack
    Participant

Is it safe to post spoilers assuming those reading these threads will have read the book? I’ve got a question about the ending, the posing of which will be a big giveaway to what happens…

paul armfield
    Keymaster

Fire away Jack!

Jack
    Participant

Thanks Paul.

Is Joe McGrady dead at the end? His reunion with Sachi just his last hallucinations as he freezes to death in the snow hole he fell in a couple of pages earlier?

Barbara R
    Participant

Hi Jack

I didn’t see that but an interesting idea! Personally I like happy endings so would like to think he and Sachi survived.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.